In 1992 ,my teacher thought a speech on "Oil Crisis n Alternate sources" was a waste

It was a tradition for every class to in the school to organize the morning school assembly once every week.Typical routine of the morning assembly would be a prayer to start with followed by one of the songs from the school diary ,a speech from an individual of the class followed by a "Vote of Thanks" .

The year was 1992 and our class teacher made an announcement that it was our class that was responsible for conducting the morning school assembly the upcoming week.She requested the students of the class to come up with suitable topics for the speech to be addressed to the school.Any student who would come up with the best topic of "her" choice ;) would deliver the speech(which was like winning a $1 million lottery in school..at least I thought so) .I was excited and wanted to deliver a speech before the school.

All I needed to do was to come up with the best topic for the speech.I looked over some essay writing books.It didn't take me longer to decide on a topic of my choice -"The Oil crisis and the need for alternate sources of energy" .The next morning I went to my teacher and submitted this as my topic and also gave snippets of how my speech looked like.Well! my speech never got selected.The teacher who specialized in teaching English and Social Studies chose the topic "English Vocabulary and how funny it was...." .Not too bad for class 8..Science always takes a hit when it comes to an English teacher.

I stand here today reading reams and reams about the British Petroleum oil spill ,heated arguments on whether offshore drilling should ever have been allowed or not ,why is the United States of America dependent heavily on foreign oil,Carbon credit trading, the green Toyota Prius that doesn't stop,Solar cell tax credit and what not .Man, this is a huge topic.

This brings to my argument that there is a need for grass root level awareness on the seriousness of current issues that plague the environment .Although I do understand that teachers all over the world do a great job at this ,but the topic of the significance of renewable sources of energy is very highly under rated at the middle and high school level.It has been almost 18 years that my school teacher undermined the importance of alternate sources of energy and even today ,I bet the awareness among general public is not there.I bet that the speech about "Oil crisis" would have done more good than the one on English Vocab. Who cares about vocab these days anyway :) .It was at least 5 years ago that a car that can run on thin air was invented but not economical/practical for mass scale yet.Is innovation that bad or companies don't have money to invest ?I am still waiting to see a company that would make an extra ordinary battery that our electric/hybrid cars could run on .I am aware of these problems for the past 20 years now.Not sure why the brilliant minds around the world take so long to solve .I wish I could help but again I wish I were smarter.

Comments

Sunnyatic said…
Prescient Mythreya !!!

Popular Posts