Humans - The Guinea Pigs of Science ?

The first time I flew in an airplane from Bangalore to Frankfurt, my curiosity knew no bounds and also my deep appreciation of the human brain and its creations. To me the human mind is one of the most amazing creation and a thing of beauty. I am incessantly in awe about the depth of thought and the sheer vision of the human mind.As always I am short of words.

However, recently I begin to think the human mind although wonderful is not completely without any chinks in its armor .In a way the human mind to me hasn't reached its pinnacle and is only in its formative years.I would like to discuss a few examples in this regard.

Not long ago,the green revolution happened because of good use of pesticides,fertilizers and better irrigation. Little did the human mind envision the impact of introduction of pesticides into the human food chain. The human mind overlooked the impact of the excessive use of fertilizers on the fertility of the land per se and also the need for huge water resources for agriculture using fertilizers.In these days, farming has shifted to the organic model which seemed to be a reversal of the science back in the 70's.

The automobile running on liquid fuels was an extraordinary invention.Little did our great grand fathers think that the CO2 released as residue would be the cause for global warming ,one of the biggest evils mankind faces today.

To the credit of the human brain,it has conquered several life threating diseases like Small Pox,Plague,Tuberculosis,Malaria to name a few. However, the brain doesn't have a clue to a number of medical conditions till date.Again just not good enough:) .

The human brain was able to calculate the age of the Sun,but mysteries of the Universe still remain mysteries to the brain.

This comes to my final topic of Genetically Modified Organism aka GMO foods.A certain business community wants to assure food security to the world with the introduction of GMO foods,citing no side effects .The human brain is amazing,however I am circumspect about fiddling with the DNA of my food.I am worried ,the human brain might fail to envision the long long term side effects and cause irreversible damage to mankind.

Good Luck human brain and I wait to see your wonders.We humans are undoubtedly the Guinea Pigs of science.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mythreya,

The idea is good. But you are not able to give final touches to the whole point. For example the reader may think that it is the human brain that is creating everything. I know the subtleties but the actual thing is the human intellect...brain is just a organ.In English language thats a big difference!!

I guess you are an engineer and that's why I see a lot of x then Y kind of statements.Language is not structural like a software code....it needs to blend with words and the authors thought.

I dont want to dissuade you from writing but just wanted to let you know about the negatives that i found while reading your post.

Thanks
Rommel
theMyth said…
Rommel,

I really appreciate your feedback.

I get your point. I will try and do my best in my forthcoming blogs :) .

thanks,
Mythreya.
theMyth said…
Also my intention in this article was to personify the human brain.
Anonymous said…
Great post! As long as humans think everything is for profit (may be capitalism at the extreme); these things bound to happen.

Thanks
Krishna